Week 4: Visiting relatives after bad weather

 Day 22

Overnight it was windy. I could hear it roaring through the treetops, but barely had a breeze at ground level. I had specifically camped at this site because the FarOut App comments said that this site was well protected from the wind ( I'm learning). The weather forecast called for a light mix of rain and snow.  What I didn't consider is that as I went up higher, the weather would change,  and not for the better.  As I  went higher, the wind picked up and the rain changed to snow. At times I was  hiking along the edge of a ridge with 50 MPH winds trying to blow me over the edge. 



By the time I  reached my campsite overlooking Palm Springs, my feet were blocks of ice and the trail was slippery and treacherous. I was actually concerned for my safety as I  was cold and wet... and alone. It took me a while. But I finally got my tent set up in an area that was somewhat out of the wind. By the time I  had finished cooking my dinner 4 or 5 other hikers had joined me. It took me a while, but I finally warmed up and drifted off to sleep. Note to self: Buy hand and foot warmers.

Cold campsite. Took forever to get warm

Looking down at Palm Springs


Day 23

I realized last night that I probably wouldn't be able to make it to I-10 before Aunt Linda and Uncle Eldon have to return to Canada. So I  hiked down the Spitler Peak trail to Apple Canyon Rd. Unfortunately,  I didn't have a Cell Signal so I couldn't call for a ride. So I started hiking down the road and finally a nice man gave me a ride into Idyllwild.  We got slighty lost after making a wrong turn, but we got there. In spite  of having driven at least 25 miles out of his way, he only accepted $5. A true Trail Angel. I tried to get a ride to Indio, but nobody answered or was available so I called Eldon and Linda and they came and picked me up. Eldon and Linda live in Edmonton,  Alberta  Canada,  but they spend the winter in Indio near Palm Springs. After picking me up. They gave me a tour of Palm Springs.  The one thing I  remember was seeing the private auditorium that originally belonged to Bob Hope.

Day 24

Zero day with Aunt Linda and Uncle Eldon. Today Eldon and Linda took me to Salton Sea.



 Salton Sea was a resort community in the 50's and 60's until the sea started to get toxic from the concentrated runoff from farmers fields.  Today it's mostly abandoned,  but artists have created pieces of art along the shore. 



From a distance the water looks blue, but when you get close it is green....and it stinks. Some of the people who still live in Salton Sea have turned their homes and some of the vacant lots into interesting pieces of art. On our way back into Indio we stopped at a Mexican bakery. For my friends in Jackson, I  hate to say this, but the Las Tres Conchitas bakery is ( GASP !! ) possibly better than Hinckleys. 

Decisions,  Decisions....

YUM ! YUM !

My left knee is slightly swollen and Linda and Cousin Shannon have been urging me to get it checked.



Day 25

Zero Day in Indio. Today is the day we prepare to depart.  Eldon and Linda have to depart the day after tomorrow. So they will drop me off in Idyllwild tomorrow.  First things first. Linda took me to an Urgent Care facility near the Eisenhower Hospital. Good News: it looks like I don't have anything seriously wrong, although I am developing arthritis in my left knee. 



I  also ( if the scales at the recycling center can be trusted ) have lost almost 16 pounds !! 

Day 26

Zero day.  Linda and Eldon dropped me off in Idyllwild.  




I camped in Mount San Jacinto State Park.

Day 27

Technically another Zero day. One of the Trail Angels, "Grumpy" dropped me off at the Spitler Peak Trailhead and I  hiked back to the campsite overlooking Palm Springs. It was a clear but chilly night and I was able to photograph the sunset and the lights of Palm Springs. 




I "Cowboy Camped" ( camped without a tent ) with 6 others on the ridge. 


I think the only times I would Cowboy Camp is if I knew there was going to be no wind and no insects around or if the wind was so strong it could damage my tent.

Day 28

I made a big mistake last night, I forgot to make a good dinner. Consequently. I had low energy this morning. Today was the hardest day if all. I almost packed it in. I was so frustrated,  discouraged I almost quit. It started with getting water at Apache Spring. Getting to the spring wasn't the problem. It was the steep ( 19% slope ) half mile climb back to the trail while carrying 2 Liters of water. That was just the beginning.  I spent the afternoon going over, under and around numerous trees that had fallen across the trail. 


I only did 7 miles today, that's how hard it was. I ( finally ! ) made it to my campsite in the early evening and watched the clouds build over the mountains to the south. There was a gentleman from Puerto Rico already there when I arrived. Ironically he is having trouble with the heat and said he may have to go home because it is effecting him so badly. We were joined by a man from the Netherlands and a couple from Norway who live above the Arctic Circle. I need to go back to town for a resupply ( I  forgot to get dinner meals last time ).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Porkies Shakedown Hike - 5 August to 11 August, 2023

Change, Change and more change

Weeks 8 & 9: Arrowhead Lake to Wrightwood